According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning in Hattiesburg about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Hattiesburg home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning at 601-292-9763 or arrange an appointment online.