Ahead of your annual furnace service appointment, spend a little time checking around your home for areas that may be letting your warm air escape. Leaky doors and windows and other areas sap your furnace’s efficiency. You could be letting money fly out the door, literally! Simply identifying leaks could make a vast difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be an easy DIY project that could help you save money for years to come. By sealing these leaks, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. Can you think of anything better than increasing energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you search for those irritating leaks?
A good deal of air can escape through your attic. Here are some specific areas to look at:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, letting air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a colder home and a higher utility bill.
- Don’t forget your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping throughout your home. It’s not uncommon for people to overlook them and they can let a significant amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Check your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking on all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. Simply use a caulking gun to seal any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to prevent air from escaping.
There are so many ways to make certain you get the most out of your annual furnace service, but following this list will give you a huge advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning, we are here for you to answer your questions about these tips. And, if you need to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at 601-292-9763.