Spring is in the air here in Hattiesburg and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning team has some recommendations that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning in Hattiesburg a call at 601-292-9763.