Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Hattiesburg, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Oak Grove Heating & Air Conditioning in Hattiesburg a call to start down the right path. Contact our team at 601-292-9763 or book an appointment with us online.